Monday, February 15, 2010

Destiny

I am going through some of my poetry, and decided to start sharing some here. Here is one I like called Destiny.

His robe is not always pulled tight
Across his head
But it always falls straight down to his feet
Where it coils and uncoils like
Snakes that are never content

Eyes like the blackest stars
Gaze across the land
Half closed eyelids that look partly within
Partly without

He moves like waves on a stormy night
Glides likes ravens across the earth
Wingless birds that somehow stay aloft

I say his name
And he answers silently
So silently that I never hear him

But we hear the things he does not say
Respond to his outstretched finger
That points the way home

When we listen he can take a breather
Feel the sunlight hit his bald head
Watch the way the mountains turn orange and pink
In the setting horizon

When we don’t hear
He must put his hood back on
Leave the mountains behind
And point once more to a place
We all fear

We are so bad at listening to his quiet instructions
That it’s been a millennium since he could stand still
And feast on the blistering sunset

In fact
He has had no chance for rest
Since he took this damn job

1 comment:

  1. I'm not very good at poetry, writing it or understanding it. I've written a few, maybe I'll share sometime.

    ReplyDelete